PoE and IP-Surveillance
Traditionally the installation of cabling for security systems has been an expensive process. Costs are increased if cabling is required to network access control and a fire detection system. Analogue CCTV cameras and other devices such as multiplexers and digital video recorders all need individual power supplies Ė more cabling and AC outlets which may require involving electricians in any installation. Individual Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPSís) will be required at each device for mission critical systems, in case of power failure. This can only increase costs still further.
By employing Power over Ethernet (PoE), sometimes referred to as Power over LAN (PoL), IP-based surveillance systems can make savings of up to 80 per cent on traditional analogue installations.
PoE and IP-Surveillance - Benefits
There are many benefits of the application of PoE to IP-Surveillance systems, which go beyond the installation savings as detailed above.
- Intelligent power source
- The Power Sourcing Equipment within PoE is capable of providing a high level of system management using existing system management protocols such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). This makes it possible to shut down power centrally through the network for maintenance for example.
- The centralization of power through PoE hubs (often called Mid-spans) also means that PoE-based systems can be plugged into the central UPS, which already supports most computer network involving more than one or two PCs. This ensures that any power outages will not affect the integrity of the IP-Surveillance system. This is important for a high-end surveillance system.
- UPS backup for the security network
- By backing up of the Power over Ethernet Mid-span in the communication room, the entire
camera network can continue operation during a power outage. This is important for a high-end surveillance system.
- Reset devices remotely
- PoE systems can pinpoint malfunctioning networked devices and then enable managers to reset them at the touch of a button. Devices being replaced can simply be isolated from power, a new device installed and then re-powered up.
- Centralisation of power supply control
- Centralisation of power supply control also eliminates the security vulnerability so often created by the situation in which someone carrying out a service such as cleaning or building work may need to utilize a power point used by a particular camera.
- Cable Protection
- Network cabling is generally attached to trays in roof voids or behind plastic ducts which are very difficult to get at. Any cutting of these cables will be immediately obvious to those passing by and of course to computer users who will find themselves unable to get on with their work.
- Optimal location of cameras
- Iinstallers of network cameras will no longer need to feel limited by the location of existing power supplies which all too often are sited down near the skirting boards as far away from the optimal location of surveillance cameras as they could possibly be.
- Assured safety with advanced line terminal detection
- Line detection enables safe installation without concern about high voltage damage to laptops, desktops and other non-PoE compatible devices, due to a misplaced connection.